Immigration Minister Sean Fraser announced a new temporary policy on April 22 that will allow international graduates to stay in Canada for longer periods of time. International student graduates in Canada who have a Post-Graduation Work Visa (PGWP) that expires between January and December 2022 may be eligible for an additional open work permit for up to 18 months starting this summer. The PGWP is not extendable or renewed under normal conditions. More information on the procedure will be released in the coming weeks.

This announcement is part of a larger initiative to allow PGWP holders to stay in Canada for extended periods of time, gain job experience, and improve their chances of obtaining permanent status. Due to the suspension in Express Entry draws for Canadian Experience Class (CEC) candidates since September, several PGWP holders whose permits are about to expire are being compelled to seek a new work permit, abandon their jobs, or leave the country.

Approximately 95,000 PGWPs will expire in 2022, according to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and an estimated 50,000 persons will benefit from this approach. The announcement coincides with Fraser’s unveiling of a raft of policies aimed at assisting low-income immigrants. Express Entry drawings for skilled workers, such as CEC and FSWP candidates, will restart in July.
In recent months, the IRCC has increased its processing capacity. Canada has handled over 100,000 work permit applications in the first quarter of 2022, more than double the number processed in the same period last year. Over 157,000 former students became permanent residents last year, with over 88,000 of them going straight from a PGWP to permanent residency.

You must have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020 or will expire within 4 months of the date you apply for this open work permit.
You remained in Canada since January 27, 2021
One of the following scenarios may apply to you:
You have temporary resident status (a valid PGWP, visitor record, or other permit allowing you to legally stay in Canada) OR you have temporarily lost your resident status but have applied to regain it. OR
You’ve lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to get it back when you apply for this open work permit.
You must include a statement in the form of a letter in your application for an open work visa stating you are applying under this new public policy (see below).
A valid passport is required.
The open work permit will be valid for up to 18 months, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
Please ensure that your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the day you apply in order to optimize the duration of your open work visa.

Are you eligible to apply for the OWP?
If you wish to get an open work permit, you need to know if you are eligible for it or not? ICC Immigration can help you find that out and guide you to the right path to secure your stay in Canada. Our Team can aware you of the required documents and the right procedure so that your application is submitted in its best state.